Subject: Re: I have one Vax to install NetBSD (Newbie)
To: Alejandro Arrieta <aarrieta@mezcal.inf.utfsm.cl>
From: Dan Kolb <dankolb@ox.compsoc.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/19/2000 00:21:13

Have a dig through www.vaxarchive.org

> recognize a SCSI, AUI, coaxial connectors, but are two Centronic type
> (printer) and one like rj11 but diferent. I suppose that the centronic
> are serial connectors. I want to connect a console to it (Wyse terminal).

From the Vax Hardware reference (from the above site), there's no SCSI
on the MicroVAX 3300. I'm going to bet that they're 50-pin centronics
connectors (like SCSI-1), which (I think - I may be wrong here) are to
connect to external DSSI (precursor to SCSI) drives. I don't know about
the centronic (printer) connector; presumably you mean 36-pin centronic?
The 'like RJ11 but different' is most likely to be a serial console (for
VT3xx and similar).

> In the server room i cant found the tapes of this machine, can i netboot
> this old pal???? in all the docs about netbooting there is no comment
> about this machine.

I think it depends on the ethernet card that's in there. Just follow
through the netbooting procedure described in the HOWTO, and hope it
works. Various people seem to have trouble netbooting though (myself
included).

> Any advice or link will be welcomed. Sorry for my english, any correction
> is welcomed too :-)
>
> Thank U
>
> Alejandro Arrieta Rios
> aarrieta@inf.utfsm.cl

Dan
--
dankolb@ox.compsoc.net  Oxford University Computer Society Secretary

--I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any comments or
  opinions expressed; don't trust everything you read above--