Subject: Re: I have one Vax to install NetBSD (Newbie)
To: Dan Kolb <dankolb@ox.compsoc.net>
From: Alejandro Arrieta <aarrieta@mezcal.inf.utfsm.cl>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/18/2000 20:00:45
On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Dan Kolb wrote:

> Have a dig through www.vaxarchive.org

Thanks i will see it.

> >From the Vax Hardware reference (from the above site), there's no SCSI
> on the MicroVAX 3300. I'm going to bet that they're 50-pin centronics
> connectors (like SCSI-1), which (I think - I may be wrong here) are to
> connect to external DSSI (precursor to SCSI) drives. I don't know about
> the centronic (printer) connector; presumably you mean 36-pin centronic?
> The 'like RJ11 but different' is most likely to be a serial console (for
> VT3xx and similar).

Its a SCSI2 (mini 50 pin, 25 in each row) male connector exactly as the
one that the all the sparcs (sun4c,sun4m) and my own SS5 and PC with PCI
SCSI card have. It has a tipical external terminator with led, like of
Sun, but with digital logo. An old external hdd (SUN) has the 50 pin
Centronic SCSI1, but it has 3 rows of pins and is bigger.
About the centronics conectors, U are right its a 36-pin centronic, I
count them. I think now that they are to connect a lot of terminals.
One has 0-7 an the second 8-15 on it.
The serial console for VT3xx connector has a A1 on it.
The MAC address of the ethernet card is 08-00-2B-12-CB-79
It is hand written in a sticker next to the AUI and coaxial conector :-)

With all this new information i have more to search.

> I think it depends on the ethernet card that's in there. Just follow
> through the netbooting procedure described in the HOWTO, and hope it
> works. Various people seem to have trouble netbooting though (myself
> included).

Thanks a lot.