Subject: Re: I have one Vax to install NetBSD (Newbie)
To: Alejandro Arrieta <aarrieta@mezcal.inf.utfsm.cl>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/18/2000 16:47:32
Hi,

SCSI connector is NOT SCSI! It is DSSI, which is not compatible with SCSI.
The connector like RJ11 but different is the DEC "MMJ" connector, this is
where the console plugs in. The two Centronics connectors are probably for
serial ports, (4 or 8 each) _not_ printers. The only way to know for sure
is to take the covers off and read the numbers from the card handles, they
usually are Mxxxx (some four digit number). You can look these up on the
Web and find out what interfaces your machine has.

There is also a VAX Faq that tells you how to wire an MMJ connector to talk
to a PC serial port. Then you can read the console messages when the system
is powering up and see what devices it has.

--Chuck