Subject: Re: Formatting software tape image, anyone?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.dbit.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/14/2000 03:03:18
>From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>

>Ok, I got the picture. I would however bet a case of Diet Dr. Pepper that
>the XXDP+ tape is a single, 512 byte block file that is bootable.

Actually, as far as I can tell XXDP uses DOS-11 labeling, so the first record
of each file is 14 bytes instead of 512.  It really *has* to be something
like this since most of the PDP-11 tape bootstraps have been around since
DOS-11 days anyway, and they normally skip the first record of a bootable
tape on the assumption that it's a DOS-11 label.  I hope I'm wrong though,
I'm not that crazy about Dr.P.!!!

It's really pretty rare to use unlabeled tapes under a DEC OS, their support
for file-structured tapes is not bad at all, so it's better to hack the
boot ROMs to live with labels, then hack everything else to live without
them.

John Wilson
D Bit