Subject: Re: Formatting software tape image, anyone?
To: None <dankolb@ox.compsoc.net>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/13/2000 15:52:50
At 11:05 PM 4/13/00 +0100, Dan Kolb wrote:
>The 'shipping' requires me to drive 45 mins. each way to pick it up.

That is an entirely different kettle of fish. You are asking what it is
worth to _you_. Who can say but you?

There are of course two competing memes here (and its off topic so I'll be
short...)

"I" want to get a good deal / "I" don't want to be ripped off.

This system sold new for $50,000. $500 is 1 cent on the dollar. Therefore
you are getting a *much* better deal than the person who bought it new.
Further anyone who has a MicroVAX II will sell it for $500 or they are
completely stupid.

If you watch Ebay you will see that about the _best_ you could hope to sell
a MVII for is about $150, that is what they would get on Ebay if they put
it up there (maybe if the moon was right).

If you watch the "Digital Dealer Association" newsletter you will find you
can get all the parts for the MVII but perhaps not necessarly the complete
system for about the same, maybe a bit more. Someone on this list might
have the current value from that rag.

Pick a number, any number. That you are willing to pay. Take 25% off that
number and offer it for the VAX. Let them haggle and agree to your original
number. Don't be afraid to walk away from it and leave your phone number.

--Chuck