Subject: Re: Which disks work on a RQDX3?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Ronny Svedman <ronny@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/13/2000 17:56:41
On 11 Apr 2000, Eric Smith wrote:

> Erno.Palonheimo@Hut.FI wrote:
> > And, what can you
> > actually mount on the slot that's sideways on the BA123 chassis? Will a
> > TK50 work if mounted sideways? How about an RD54?
>
> The Maxtor 2190 is rated for operation in either a horizontal or vertical
> orientation, as is the case with most "ST-506" drives.  Note that this does
> *NOT* mean that it can be used in any arbitrary orientation (e.g., 15
> degrees from horizontal), as that puts different dynamic loading on the
> bearings and will cause it to wear out faster.

I have two RD54:s, 2 RD53:s and a TK-50 in my BA123. It could be
coincidence, but the RD54 that is in the vertical slot has started making
really horrifying noises about a week ago. I have seen TK-50:s work in
vertical position in BA-23 cabinets, so I guess you'd be better off with
the TK50 in the vert slot. This will also make the cabling easier / less
chaotic.

Oh, right. About a year ago (i think it was last easter, actually) I
managed to make the BA123 fall over while running, which knocked all of
the drives out of their mounting rails.. maybe this has to do with the
RD54 sounding like a chainsaw :-( I guess it got bumped hanging upsida
down there creating a heavy axial momentary load on eth bearings, while
the others got the impact sideways..

Good Luck!

//Waiting for the blue smoke..

* Ronny Svedman  	ronny@update.uu.se		*
* Sturegatan 12A :123   Lando_C, in IRCnet #australia	*
* 75314 UPPSALA         http://www.update.uu.se/~ronny	*
* Sweden    		+46-(0)709-525109		*