Subject: Re: SCSI tape
To: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/06/2000 12:28:57
> Chuck,
>
> On the back, it says, 'TK50Z-GA', and as I said, it works
> perfectly with VMS in the same configuration.  Now, one other
> variable to consider.  VMS is booting from the SCSI 'A' bus,
> NetBSD is booting from the SCSI 'B' (external) bus, where the
> tape drive is also installed.  I could try installing NetBSD
> on an internal disk, and see if I get the same error.
>
> Doug
>
> On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Chuck McManis wrote:
>
> > At 03:32 PM 4/5/00 -0400, you wrote:
> > >However, everytime I try to make a tape archive to TK50Z, I get
> > >SCSI sense errors, and the process eventually gives up.
> >
> > I believe you have a TK50Z-FA rather than a TK50Z-GA. The former only works
> > by itself on the SCSI bus with a VS2000 (IIRC) and the latter works on
> > later SCSI busses shared with drives. The TZ30 is even better in this regard.
> >
> > --Chuck

I can confirm this problem exists with TK50-GA on the VAXstation 3100/30.

Mine also works just dandy under VMS.  I get the exact same SENSE errors.
Is this possibly an issue of the drive being SCSI-I and not returning
the SENSE and other extended info that SCSI-II does?  FreeBSD suffers
from this problem -- basically you can't use many SCSI-I devices under
FreeBSD due to the fact that they've mostly abandoned any support
for "quirky" old devices (Those that don't return SENSE, or don't
handle LUN probing, etc).

I'd really like to see NetBSD continue to accomodate this hardware myself.
Considering VMS deals with it, there clearly isn't a hardware malfunction,
aside from possible SCSI-II expectations.  I haven't looked at the tape
driver yet, but perhaps if we aren't recognising TK quirks (or aren't
making provisions for such) we could address them.

Cheers,
-skots
--
Scott G. Akmentins-Taylor     InterNet: staylor@mrynet.com