Subject: RE: Somebody wants to spam us ?
To: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/02/2000 12:16:04
If you look closely at the headers you will see that it is a news program
that is posting them. It seems fairly obvious to me that someone has tried
to set up a mail<->news gateway for the port-vax list on their private news
server (if you connect to cosmic.com on the NNTP port you will get a news
server running in "password" mode.) Of course such gateways are not easy to
set up and so somebody got it wrong. When something gets posted to the
newsgroup, the software trys to post it to port-vax and you get nothing but
the header. That's my theory anyway (Never ascribe to conspiracy that which
can be explained by mere incompetence - N. Bonaparte)

--Chuck