Subject: Re: Bootstrapping a scsi hd
To: Ville U Hautakangas <vhautaka@cs.Helsinki.FI>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/29/2000 12:35:11
On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Ville U Hautakangas wrote:

> After some experimenting, I'm beginning to think there's something
> I've missed...
>
> I have a partitioned disk at sd0. A 1.2 gig disk, that went nicely
> through low-level format.
>
> disklabel -B sd0 seems to complete ok, but everything the machine
> does when I boot from DKA200 (or 300 or 500) is

	Did you newfs the root partition before disklabel -B sd0? Are
there any *'s in the disklabel? Perhaps try specifying the boot blocks in
/usr/mdec. Does VAX have installboot yet?

> ?number RESTART SYS
>
> Is there something wrong?
>

> Then, after T 75'ing the big HP disk, when I disklabeled it, disklabel
> gave different value for cylinder count than the drive manual.
> The values in the manual are counted using 512 byte secor size,
> so that should be OK.

	It could be a disklabelish problem, I don't suppose this is one of
those silly drives that starts numbering things at 1 instead of 0 is
it? (i.e. Cyl 0 is actually considered cyl 1 by the drive or vice versa.)

	Chris