Subject: Re: Question re. installation
To: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: Georg Schwarz <schwarz@physik.tu-berlin.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/29/2000 09:00:00
>=20
>     Is it possible that /dev/console device (mknod c 0 0 (?)) was not

I'll check that. I had done a MAKEDEV all though.

> created? To be seeing video I assume that would necessitate having S3 set
> correctly. Maybe /etc/ttys has the keyboard port set incorrectly? I don't
> have the DB15->BNC adapter for my VS, so I've never used raster console.
> Maybe Bob remembers if there was anything particular that had to be tweak=
ed.
>=20
> > I have booted from floppy, partitioned the disks and mounted them manua=
lly.
> > Then I ftped the stuff to my tmp and untared it.
> > I didn't use sysinst because it does not support more than one hard
> > disk (! have just two 100 MB ones).
> > Which kernel Image should I use? How can I tell the kernel which is my
> > root device?
>=20
>     The kern in kern.tgz is the Generic kern for that release. If it does=
n't
> automagically find the root device, you'll have to either build your own
> kernel or have someone build you one replacing root on ? swap on ? with r=
oot
> on sd0a swap on sd0b in the kernel config file. If you feel like building
> your own kernel, check out NetBSD web site:Documentation:Kernel for a how=
to.

I'd first have to have a running system incl. compilers.

--=20
Georg Schwarz                             schwarz@physik.tu-berlin.de
Institut f=FCr Theoretische Physik    Tel. +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
Technische Universit=E4t Berlin          http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
Sekr. PN 7-1, Hardenbergstr. 36, D-10623 Berlin            IRC: kuroi