Subject: Re: Question re. installation
To: Georg Schwarz <schwarz@physik.tu-berlin.de>
From: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/28/2000 15:50:06
on 3/28/00 11:36 AM, Georg Schwarz at schwarz@physik.tu-berlin.de wrote
something like:

> Thanks for your reply.
> I'd like to ask you though to configure your mail reader to use
> something more meaningful than X-UNKNOWN as a charset. ISO-8859-1
> might be a good choice I think.

    Sorry about that, just goes to show that Netscape blows chunks.

> To answer the question: I'm not using a serial terminal but the
> VAX's console.

    Is it possible that /dev/console device (mknod c 0 0 (?)) was not
created? To be seeing video I assume that would necessitate having S3 set
correctly. Maybe /etc/ttys has the keyboard port set incorrectly? I don't
have the DB15->BNC adapter for my VS, so I've never used raster console.
Maybe Bob remembers if there was anything particular that had to be tweaked.

> I have booted from floppy, partitioned the disks and mounted them manually.
> Then I ftped the stuff to my tmp and untared it.
> I didn't use sysinst because it does not support more than one hard
> disk (! have just two 100 MB ones).
> Which kernel Image should I use? How can I tell the kernel which is my
> root device?

    The kern in kern.tgz is the Generic kern for that release. If it doesn't
automagically find the root device, you'll have to either build your own
kernel or have someone build you one replacing root on ? swap on ? with root
on sd0a swap on sd0b in the kernel config file. If you feel like building
your own kernel, check out NetBSD web site:Documentation:Kernel for a howto.

    Chris

--

Murphy was an optimist.