Subject: Re: Question re. installation
To: Georg Schwarz <schwarz@physik.tu-berlin.de>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@apache.dtcc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/28/2000 10:55:48
On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Georg Schwarz wrote:

> I've now manually installed NetBSD from the binaries found at
> ftp://forelle32.wohnheim.uni-kl.de/pub/NetBSD/arch/vax/snapshot/1.4V/bina=
ry/
> on aVaxStation 3100 M30.
> Now when I boot from DKA100 the kernel shows up. I get
>=20
> boot disk: <unknown>
> root disk: _

=09IFF you did a manual install, the system will not auto-conf your
boot and root devices. You'll have to roll your own kernel to fix this I
believe.
=20
> there's a rapidly flasing cursor, and the system does not react on any
> keystrokes. It just hangs.
> What did I do wrong, and how should I do it better?

=09Are you using a terminal to connect to your system? If so you need
9600-N-8-1 with Modem control (DTR/DSR handshake?) and smooth scrolling
disabled. I can't speak for non-DEC terminals, but I had the same thing
happen without Modem control on wiht a VT-320

> PS: does NetBSD really come without ssh(d)???

=09Up until recently, crypto wasn't included due to export
restrictions. Now that they have been lifted crypto may be added to the
base system release, making including ssh more logical. Grab the source or
binaries from pkgsrc on the netbsd ftp site.

> --=20
> Georg Schwarz                             schwarz@physik.tu-berlin.de
> Institut f=FCr Theoretische Physik    Tel. +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
> Technische Universit=E4t Berlin          http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
> Sekr. PN 7-1, Hardenbergstr. 36, D-10623 Berlin            IRC: kuroi
>=20

=09Chris