Subject: Re: VAX GKS Docs available
To: None <classiccmp@classiccmp.org>
From: Mark Green <mark@cs.ualberta.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/27/2000 11:14:48
> >I have a complete doc set for the VAX GKS software (whatever
> >the heck it is)
>
> Graphics Kernel System, maybe?  Sounds dimly familiar from the Core
> graphics library for the Pro, unless I'm confusing it with something else.

GKS is a 2D graphics package developed in the late 1970s.  It is
a vector based package, and based on display lists.  It was later
replaced by PHIGS, which is a 3D grapics package.  PHIGS and Core
have similar functionality, but are quite different in their internal
details.

--
Dr. Mark Green                                 mark@cs.ualberta.ca
Professor                                      (780) 492-4584