Subject: Re: A couple of Vax 'problems'
To: Paul Thompson <thompson@mail.athenet.net>
From: Dan Kolb <dankolb@ox.compsoc.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/27/2000 23:12:12
Paul Thompson wrote:

> I don't have an immediate answer for you, but perhaps something to help.
>
> I have found VMS, at least recent versions with CI MSCP hardware will not
> create DUB device names, even if multiple MSCP controllers are present.
> All drives will be automatically DUA once VMS is loaded.  I wonder if your
> old SDI MSCP disks will work the same way.
>
> Also, I assume that the disk controller is not still programmed with a
> DUA0 for the crashed disk (ie no phantom DUA0 shows up in SHOW DEVICE). If
> there was a DUA0 and a DUB0 (whose name was translated to DUA0 by VMS) I
> wonder if allocation classes were used to differentiate between them. I am
> not sure how that works with the older hardware.

There's no phantom DUA device turning up. When I boot the Standalone
Backup tape it lists the Available Devices as MUA0, DUB0, DUB1 and DUB2.

> Obvious question, but the ONLINE button is in the correct position on the
> RA device as well?

I think so. I don't know much about Vaxen at all, and the only manuals I
got with mine were a couple of VMS System Administration folders.

> Do you have the exact errors VMS is giving?

%BACKUP-F-ALLOCFAIL, file structure allocation failure for DUB0:
-SYSTEM-F-MEDOFL, medium is offline

Dan
--
dankolb@ox.compsoc.net  Oxford University Computer Society Secretary

--I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any comments or
  opinions expressed; don't trust everything you read above--