Subject: Re: Did the VAX snapshot get finished yet?
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
From: Anders Hogrelius SdU <elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/24/2000 09:19:59
On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Olaf Seibert wrote:

> You didn't base the crosscompiler on the pkgsrc stuff? I have been
> trying a bit to add a vax-targeted cross compilation system going, like
> the others in pkgsrc/cross, but I stranded on as, which does not produce
> byte-for-byte identical output yet.

I based the cross on the pkgsrc stuff from 1.4.1, it took quite bit of
tweaking before it compiled and produced any working binaries. As far
as i've been able to tell, by comparing both object files and linked
binaries the files are identical from the cross and the native compiler.

I had to tweak the ld sources, so my cross can't link dynamically.
This isn't a problem though when linking kernels.

'as' was the program that gave the least problems building. The main
obstacle was that the bfd sources had a bug in the byteorder stuff.
No one seemed to have thought about the fact that the ntohl and
htons functions on some platforms just are empty macros that doesn't
do anything. Took quite a while analyzing the objectfiles produced and
comparing them with native object files to find the byteorder error...

--
cheers,

/Anders

"Experience is what allows you to recognize a mistake
 the second time you make it." G. Fowler

* Anders Hogrelius SdU   Phone : +46 21 381860
* Tessingatan 12         E-mail: elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se
* 72216 Vasteras