Subject: Re: RZ23 problem, now with bonus RZ24!
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/22/2000 13:01:38
> Actually, I think it would be a rather decent behaviour if newfs
> perhaps by default didn't newfs filesystems that were already 4.2BSD
> (preferrably overridable) and didn't newfs at all a partition which
> overlapped any other partition that was marked as 4.2BSD.

> This could possibly be a lifesaver at times.

They would also be major loses for ports using legacy disklabels which
don't contain filesystem types.  (While this may not be an issue for
the VAX port, putting port-specific hacks in newfs strikes me as a
Really Ugly thing to do.)  For example, Sun disklabels (used by the
sparc and sun3 ports) have no way to represent partition types.  A disk
with a Sun disklabel gets 4.2BSD for partitions adefgh, swap for b, and
unknown for c...and you can't change any of those.

I also very strongly recommend that any such checks that go in newfs be
overridable from the command line.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca