Subject: Re: booting VS3100 by floppy
To: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: Georg Schwarz <schwarz@physik.tu-berlin.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/20/2000 19:31:17
> on 3/20/00 12:38 PM, Georg Schwarz at schwarz@physik.tu-berlin.de wrote
> something like:
>=20
> > I just wrote (with dd on Linux) the new boot.fs from NetBSD 1.4.2 to
> > a 1.44 MB disk and tried to boot a VS 3100 with a DX23 floppy disk
> > from it. It failed. The drive whas accessed, but after a while I got
> > boot failed, and it started over.
> > Is it possible to boot this configuration by diskette?
>=20
>     Brian Chase has mentioned that he has been able to disk boot his VS31=
00,
> so far I have not been successful. I would recommend that you a.) clean t=
he
> heads of the floppy, it doesn't strike me as an often used device on UN*X

I could try that.

> systems. b.) check and be sure that the power cable and data cables are
> making good contact. Make sure the power cable "snaps" over the locking n=
ub

I think I did that before already

> on the FD, mine was not. c.) format the floppy on the VS with t 70 at >>>
> and THEN dd the boot image to the floppy and try again. If the disk forma=
ts
> on the VS with no problems and still won't boot after that then I doubt y=
ou
> or your machine are at fault.

I did that (as DX23). Now (on Linux) I get:

dd if=3Dboot.fs of=3D/dev/fd0
dd: /dev/fd0: Input/output error
15+0 records in
14+0 records out

This is on a SparcStation 10 running Linux. So far I had not had any
floppy problems whatsoever with it. I wrote tons of PC boot disks on
it. Do I need some extra parameters?

--=20
Georg Schwarz                             schwarz@physik.tu-berlin.de
Institut f=FCr Theoretische Physik    Tel. +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
Technische Universit=E4t Berlin          http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
Sekr. PN 7-1, Hardenbergstr. 36, D-10623 Berlin            IRC: kuroi