Subject: Anyone got a recent current snapshot?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/19/2000 17:18:49
Now that the dust has settled from the mad rush to 1.4.2, is there anyone
around that has a more recent VAX snapshot than the November 99 snapshot in
the archives?  If it is possible to get one or have someone run one off,
do holler.  The latest one I have is 1.4P.  I have kernels built through
1.4T, but things are beginning to get unstable possibly due to userland
falling behind.  In particular ftp dumps core regularly, now.

I tried 1.4.2 on my MV3100, today, for the fun of it.....S L O W.....(:+{{...
It feels like the polling scsi drivers are still there, and no DMA drivers.
Kudos to the DMA on VAXen.... it makes a big diff....  But, 1.4.2 did
install like clockwork.  Sysinstall may need some fine tuning.  It does
not unmount things if it aborts (like when a missing file is tried to
be downloaded [I rarely load games, and forgot to take it off the install
list --- unfortunately, it was not loaded up on my ftp install server]).
On restart sysinsgal gets confused with the aborted fs's still mounted
and comes to a screeching halt, requiring manual unmounting of any aborted
fs's.  Other than that, it loads just like clockwork.

But, to be sufficiently speedy, the MV3100 needs to go back to the current
line.  So, before I load her up again, any later snapshots I might could use?

Thanks, all.... Kudos and virtual suds to all the porting crews.
NetBSD is getting better all the time!

Bob