Subject: Re: DSSI opcodes
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Smith <eric@brouhaha.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/18/2000 05:33:24
Lord Isildur <mrfusion@guildvax.guild.net> wrote:
> this is because DSSI is essentially just some set of the features of CI.
> It's a full CI bus, just that if you only use the DSSI features, many
> folks called it a 'dssi bus'. Clustering was done through the DSSI channel
> just like any other CI, except that there's no star coupler in the
> middle.

Clustering?  Is DSSI a multi-master bus?  Can I just plug two vaxes
onto the same DSSI disk drive?  I assume I'd need to configure one
of the DSSI controllers specially?  (This can be done with SCSI as long
as both controllers are set to unique IDs, and termination is done
right.)

Even if this is physically/electrically/logically possible, I'm reasonably
certain that the NetBSD filesystem code isn't going to support two hosts
mounting the same filesystem, unless both mount it read-only.