Subject: Re: Building -current from 1.4.1?
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/15/2000 17:26:20
> > Would a more regular string of snapshots help to get this kind of situation
> > fixed?
> >
> 	It would help, (Todd Whitesel is working on getting regular
> 	-current builds on about eight arches setup), but its not
> 	a complete fix.

Oops, I was deliberately keeping quiet, as I've gotten good and burned out
by 1.4.2 and really need to spend time on non-NetBSD stuff for a while. So
I didn't want to get anyone's hopes up by saying anything right now.

> > How about a weekly generic snapshot with sources that built it?
> > At least, for base, etc, comp, man, misc, text?
> >
> 	I think that is what Todd's eventual goal.

That would be correct. I think it would also help the release effort if we
also could do this for the release branch.

> 	How about a BUILD_README or similar in the base of the src tree -
> 	anytime someone makes a change that would break building from
> 	the last release source, they note the tool that is affected,
> 	and any particular gotcha. It won't catch everything (tools
> 	get updated for some reason, then at a later point a new feature
> 	is used in the build), but at least after the first person reports
> 	it it can get added to the file.

After realizing one week that I was able to handle nearly all the "current
doesn't build, waah" emails, simply because I'd just got done bringing six
machines from 1.4.1 to current, it occurred to me that a FAQ-O-Matic web
page would be the real solution to this.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com