Subject: Re: Building -current from 1.4.1?
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@asim.lip6.fr>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/13/2000 19:45:15
On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 10:31:00AM -0800, Chuck McManis wrote:
> At 07:06 PM 3/13/00 +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> >I'm sure this has been documented in current-users when it was changed.
>
> No doubt one of those "I changed something, read the CVS logs" type
> messages :-) Seriously current-users hasn't been the resource I would have
> hoped. I wish there was a "build-masters" list that _just_ talked about
> changes in the build.

Sure current-users has a lot of traffic. But I'm sure a message really
explaining what changed has been sent.

> >What env variables do you have ?
>
> At the moment only "CRYPTOPATH"
>
> >You shouldn't have 'domestic' any more but 'crypto-us' or 'crypto-intl',
> >and make will DTRT with this.
>
> Unfortunately, this is part of the breakage. The current build may do the
> right thing with this when built in a current system but it definitely is
> broken when trying to build from the last "release" system. This is what I
> mean by interface discipline.

Building -current from the last release is not the supported way to
upgrade to current (you'll have troubles with a lot of other things,
including the compiler, config, lex/yacc, lint, ...).
Better install a -current snapshot first and rebuild from here.