Subject: Re: 1.4.2 release candidate now up for FTP.
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/13/2000 17:08:09
On Sat 11 Mar 2000 at 16:34:49 +0100, Olaf Seibert wrote:
> I intend to try this (netboot only) on my VS 3100 m38. (I installed a
> snapshot in its disk, that's why). I could also try it perhaps on my MV
> 2000 with 6M of RAM (also netbooting) but that may be stressing it a bit
> ;-) (it has VMS on disk).

The "SMIDGEN" kernel refuses to boot, on both systems. The boot loaded
MOPs normally, it loads the kernel, and when it starts it, I get

 85 RESTART SYS
 84 FAIL

 83 BOOT SYS

The 3100 netboots fine, but I can't seem to get the swap over nfs
working with the GENERIC kernel. (Maybe that can only be set in the
config file, not in /etc/fstab?).

The 2000 loads the kernel fine, then console outputs goes to some black
hole, since I did't see it come out of either port 1, 2, or 3, or even
with a 25pin -> MMJ converter out of the modem port (or whatever it is,
the port with the arrows over it). It's doing something though, since I
see it RARPing and BOOTPARAMSing a bit later on. It never comes up
multiuser though, even from the exact same root as the 3100 which did
come up multiuser. Possibly this is due to lack of swap.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder.ubc.     -- If one tells the truth,
\X/ .kun.nl     -- one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out. (Oscar Wilde)