Subject: Re: Using fifos on NetBSD
To: ville hautakangas , <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/12/2000 14:21:37
on 3/11/00 3:00 PM, ville hautakangas at vhautaka@cs.Helsinki.FI wrote
something like:

> I'm not familiar with NetBSD (because me too lazy and Linux
> too easy or too familiar and those damn RZ23's don't work).

    Don't work with Linux you mean or?

> First of all, is it normal to get these when linking:

    I know nothing of ld :)

> Second, why does mkfifo always return "Invalid argument"?
> As in (straight from my source):
>
> if(mkfifo(argv[1],S_IRWXU | S_IRWXG | S_IRWXO)==-1){
> printf("\nvitut. mkfifo: %s\n", strerror(errno));
> exit(0);
> }

    According to mkfifo man page:

    mkfifo exits 0 if successful, and >0 if an error occurred.

so shouldn't ...| S_IRWXO)>=0){ ... ?

> The output: "vitut. mkfifo: Invalid argument"
>
> Even if I use the command mkfifo, it says the same, so this
> has to do with the OS? Some man page said that fifo support
> could be turned off in the kernel, but I would think it'd
> be included in a generic kernel? Then could it be because
> I netboot NetBSD from a Linux box and use nfs only? I wouldn't
> think that's the reason either, after all fifos should have
> nothing more to do with filesystem than dev files etc.

    I haven't seen anything about fifofs in the GENERIC kernel configs on
both vax and pmax. Try nm /netbsd | grep fifo and I get about 35 symbols on
a custom kernel on my pmax.

    Chris

--

    "I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure..."