Subject: Using fifos on NetBSD
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: ville hautakangas <vhautaka@cs.Helsinki.FI>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/11/2000 22:00:51
I'm not familiar with NetBSD (because me too lazy and Linux
too easy or too familiar and those damn RZ23's don't work).

However, I wanted to try out a programming excercise for a
Unix course at the university on something other than Linux.
It's a standard C program that just opens some fifos to
enable simple (and inefficient!) client-server communication.

First of all, is it normal to get these when linking:

ld: asiakas.o: RRS text relocation at 0x1b9d for "___sF"
ld: palvelin.o: RRS text relocation at 0x1c51 for "___sF"
ld: palvelin.o: RRS text relocation at 0x1cd2 for "___sF"
ld: palvelin.o: RRS text relocation at 0x1d2e for "___sF"
ld: palvelin.o: RRS text relocation at 0x1e16 for "___sF"
ld: palvelin.o: RRS text relocation at 0x1e59 for "___sF"
ld: palvelin.o: RRS text relocation at 0x1f4b for "___sF"
ld: palvelin.o: RRS text relocation at 0x1f8d for "___sF"

Second, why does mkfifo always return "Invalid argument"?
As in (straight from my source):

  if(mkfifo(argv[1],S_IRWXU | S_IRWXG | S_IRWXO)==-1){
     printf("\nvitut. mkfifo: %s\n", strerror(errno));
     exit(0);
  }

The output: "vitut. mkfifo: Invalid argument"

Even if I use the command mkfifo, it says the same, so this
has to do with the OS? Some man page said that fifo support
could be turned off in the kernel, but I would think it'd
be included in a generic kernel? Then could it be because
I netboot NetBSD from a Linux box and use nfs only? I wouldn't
think that's the reason either, after all fifos should have
nothing more to do with filesystem than dev files etc.

I have NetBSD/vax 1.4.1 GENERIC and all the packages should
be the same date. I have compiled stuff like thttpd and
Hello World and they showed no bad symptoms whatsoever.

- hautis