Subject: Re: DSSI opcodes
To: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@igps.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/11/2000 21:32:56
Hi !

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, J. Buck Caldwell wrote:
[DSSI drive naming]
> Well now, wait a second. I've got Q-Bus MSCP SCSI controllers, and those
> devices are referred to as ra*. The only time SCSI disks are refered to as sd*
> is when they aren't attached to an MSCP device - ie, the SCSI controller on a
> VS3100. As long as these disks are being controlled by a Q-bus based MSCP
> device, I agree that they should retain the ra* device name, since they'll be
> using a derivation of the MSCP driver.

This ra* is for MSCP drives. My DSSI drive on a KFQSA in a VAX 4300 is also
called "ra0". SCSI disks in VAXstations have their own controller, they are
known as sd*. If SHAC support really becomes true, the drives just hang on a
controller, similar to the SCSI chip in the VAXstations. The name for those
drives should be defined, but it will neither be sd* nor ra* in this case,
because this DSSI bus is a new bus connected to a controller chip. Just compare
this with SCSI, AFAIK, DSSI is not that different from SCSI.

...Michael

--
 Michael@camaronet.de, Rottweil/Germany, http://www.camaronet.de
 Visit the german VAXpage: http://www.vaxpower.de