Subject: Re: On the subject of postings
To: Andy Sporner <andy.sporner@networkengines.com>
From: ville hautakangas <vhautaka@cs.Helsinki.FI>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/09/2000 11:04:09
> As for a civil tongue, well this has to be mutual.  I am never
> one to attack without reason.  BTW: How was my language any
> different than that which I recieved?  If your real problem
> is with Intel, then don't make it with me please.

I think, trying to make people laugh is good flaming. Trying to
make people feel uneasy is bad flaming. Especially since the
former at least sometimes works.

> As a community I think we would be doing our best do make BSD
> a real usable system and this does NOT include infighting among
> the various ports, which is what this is a reasonable example
> of.  We should be more focused on making Microsoft go away.

No, no. Microsoft is good for the community. As long as there
is new Windows every couple of years, there will also be tons of
outdated hardware for us to pick up, and thousands of frustrated
users who think about computers as some sort of magic and of
geeks as wizards. And they are willing to pay to get their
DVD's and crappy scanners and modems to work.. good for me.

If/when the technology reaches some sort of balance and computers
become actually easy to use, plug-and-play devices that anybody
can use (like you can use any washing machine or TV), then we'll
be regarded as stupid alchemists with our command lines and
kernel compilations.. but that's still years away.

Well. For me, using a washing machine is a trial-and-error procedure
and I'm sure I don't use the machine's full potential.. but anyway.

Of course it doesn't seem so good if one doesn't want to use
Wintel hardware.. but wasn't it the same in the eighties? I thought
VMS was for the minicomputers what Windows is for today's PC's.
You had a VAX, you almost always had to run VMS on it. Today,
you have a PC, you almost always have to run Windows on it.
What hardware did the real gurus want to use in the 80's? Honeywell's
Multics stuff? Univac systems?

> PS:  Since I have only a single VAX would anybody with multiple
> vaxen like to try the load balancer part of the Clustering project?

Were you in Finland, I'd give you another one - I have three
VS3100/30's and I'd really like to have room for something bigger.

- hautis