Subject: RE: On the subject of postings
To: 'port-vax@netbsd.org' <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Sporner <andy.sporner@networkengines.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/08/2000 14:27:11

> DEC-related way, no you were asking about a totally different
> architecture which a lot of VAX users are actively trying to
> *avoid*.  Perfectly understandable if no other resource was open
> to you, but of course there's a  mailing list already available
> precisely for that port, so you've got to admit it was
> a tad lazy coming here with an i386 problem.

I understand the reviling that DEC folk have over Wintel.  Hell
I don't like Intel much either, but the reality is that is what
is cheap and available.  If I had my druthers I would be using
either Alpha or PowerPC.   I have always had a soft spot for
Dec stuff.  I have a working PDP-8, PDP-11 and Vax, which covers
most of the contemporary stuff--except alpha (and this is in the
works).  My first VAX I worked on was an 11/750 with a whole 2MB
of memory that we managed to share with 45 online users!  Every
time our systems guys went to Decus to ask how to tune it up
a little better they got laughed out of the room (mainly because
it was a miracle it was running as well).  It only took 2 minutes
to log in that's all...

For the sake off-posts--OK I submitted it.

As for a civil tongue, well this has to be mutual.  I am never
one to attack without reason.  BTW: How was my language any
different than that which I recieved?  If your real problem
is with Intel, then don't make it with me please.

Let's drop this whole thread now, nobody loves peace more than
I do, but I also prefer to be dealt reasonably as well.  That
does not include ripping my head of because I happen to use
PC's to run BSD.

As a community I think we would be doing our best do make BSD
a real usable system and this does NOT include infighting among
the various ports, which is what this is a reasonable example
of.  We should be more focused on making Microsoft go away.

Thanks again.

Andy.

PS:  Since I have only a single VAX would anybody with multiple
vaxen like to try the load balancer part of the Clustering project?