Subject: Re: On the subject of postings
To: None <andy.sporner@networkengines.com, port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.dbit.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/08/2000 13:49:05
>Yesterday marked the most enfuriating day I have ever had on the net
>and it was largely to do with some of the flakes that are in this group.
>
>An old adage goes:  "If you don't anything constructive to say --then
>shut up!"  Same here. That goes to you MOUSE and some of the
>other smart-xxxes.

You Must Chill!!!  I really think you're blowing this out of proportion.

no you were asking about a totally different architecture which a lot
of VAX users are actively trying to *avoid*.  Perfectly understandable if
no other resource was open to you, but of course there's a mailing list
already available precisely for that port, so you've got to admit it was
a tad lazy coming here with an i386 problem.

But rather than trying to flay you alive as a heretic, or get nasty and
personal in some other way, a few people got their jollies by taking some
tiny little pot shots.  Which I think anyone in a reasonable frame of mind
would have recognized as simple good-natured ribbing.  I sure thought it was
funny, without being mean-spirited, and I think I would have thought so even
if I had been the target.  I mean what do you expect here for chrissake,
people come here to *hide* from the Wintel world as much as anything else!

>So now I have decided to change focus and do exclusively I-386
>because of the lousy responses and cooperation from those
>here.  It's really too bad because the cluster would have been
>nice on an architecture that is not really so fast.

This seems pretty severe.  I really don't think anyone was trying to elicit
any response worse than "all right, very funny guys, enough already".
I really think you should take a few deep breaths and come back in a week
or so.  No one's out to get you!  If there are any NetBSD/i386 experts on
this list I would have expected that they already contacted you *off-list*.

John Wilson
D Bit