Subject: RE: KFQSA progress
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@freegate.com>
From: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/03/2000 09:25:32
Dear Chuck,

I thought I'd put together this note for you and share it with
port-vax.  It describes where I'm at with KFQSA/RF72's and how
my experiences have differed from yours.  (Refer to Chuck's
posting on port-vax, 7/29/99, so I can save typing.)

I've got a KA655 CPU (KA655-A V5.3 VMB 2.7) in a BA213 chassis,
32 Mb, DESQA, CXY08, TKQ50, and KFQSA.  I've got operator control
panel with unit plugs 0, 1 and blank, and three RF72 drives connected.

The KFQSA, as you exclaimed, is a strange board.  It has a panel of
four dip switches.  To set the board as the primary MSCP disk controller
(csr 772150) set them to ON-ON-OFF-OFF.  To put the board into "service
mode", or "program mode", set the switches to ON-OFF-ON-ON (service 0).
Put the board back in, turn the computer back on, and type:

SET HOST/MAINTENANCE/UQSSP/SERVICE 0

At this point, it responds with a list of the current nodes that have
been configured, their csr, and the model (21 for disk or 22 for tape).
On my system, using csr's determined from the configure command, this
now looks like:

Node    CSR Address     Model
 0        772150         21
 1        760334         21
 2        760340         21

To program the KFQSA, type EXIT.  The computer responds with "Programming
KFQSA".  So far, so good.

Now, here is one difference.  When I power the machine back up,
it still shows only one disk controller, at 772150, with drive
DUA2.  As an experiment, I have tried typing several different
csr's into the service program, but with always the same result,
one controller shown at 772150.  Last night, I thought that maybe
it was because the battery was bad.  Since I haven't yet obtained
good batteries from Tim Shoppa's shop, I stole one from a VS3100,
and verified that now the computer was saving the boot device
and clock time.  I repeated the procedure.  Same result.

Now, the second difference is in trying to run the MSCP setup.
I've tried both SET HOST/MAINT/MSCP 0 and SET HOST/MAINT/UQSSP/MSCP 0
but my uncooperative computer always responds with ?28 UNK SW.
When I type HELP at >>>, it shows the following SET HOST choices:

SET HOST/DUP/UQSSP < /DISK | /TAPE > <CONTROLLER #>
SET HOST/DUP/UQSSP <CSR> [<TASK>]
SET HOST/MAINT/UQSSP/SERV <CONTROLLER #>
SET HOST/MAINT/UQSSP <CSR>

but nothing about SET HOST/MAINT/UQSSP/MSCP.  By the way, what
model of CPU were you using with that command?

Now, the third question has to do with CONFIGURE.  What does
this command do exactly?  On my CPU, its prompt is
Device, CSR:

You can type HELP, and it gives an nice list of all possible
devices, and gives the confusing message that the number can
be between 1 and 255.  If you try to give a real CSR, like:

KFQSA-DISK, 772150

it bombs with ?35 ARG OVERF.  You can give it numbers like
1,2,3, etc., but I don't know what these mean.  Anyway, after
running it, it gave back the following message:

CONFIGURE   Address/Vector Assignments
    772150/154   KFQSA-DISK
    760334/300   KFQSA-DISK
    760340/304   KFQSA-DISK
    760344/310   KFQSA-DISK
    760350/314   KFQSA-DISK
    760354/320   KFQSA-DISK

But I'm still sitting there with only one disk controller showing
when I do a SHOW QBUS or SHOW UQSSP.

So, at this point, only the drive with the '0' unit plug is seen
by the computer.  I can verify this by moving the unit plug around
to the three slots on the OCP, and seeing each drive show up in
turn, on DUA.  Interesting, all three drives are clicking away
noisily, and all three green lights on the OCP are flickering
along as the disks show activity (these disks seem busier than
most, don't they?).  But only one shows up while in console
mode, and only one is seen by NetBSD.

Sorry for the somewhat lengthy message, but remember, this
is all raw material for our FAQ.

Thanks for all your help,

Doug