Subject: Re: [VAX] Re: Running the 19991115 snapshot
To: Joel Sutton <jsutton@bbcon.com.au>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/03/2000 09:33:34
Joel Sutton wrote:

> Chris,
>
> I guess I must not have made myself clear enough. I shouldn't write emails
> at 2am in the morning I suppose. :-) My fault.

	Been here done that :) I was actually up till two this morning to win
a PMAG-E on Ebay.

> First of all, a recap. I've managed to get one of my VaxStations running
> 1.4.1 without any problems. I've got it netbooting off of my FreeBSD
> server using mopd, DHCP and NFS (of course). After spending a few days
> mucking about I finally discovered that the mopd version in the FreeBSD
> ports collection wasn't patched as specified in the Netboot how-to. I
> recompiled with the necessary patches and off we went. I've submitted a PR
> & patches to the FreeBSD people so that should fix that problem for other
> people.

	Ah, well my general point was that the NetBSD MOP implementation
(I *THINK*) is buggy as hell on all ports except vax. My troubles have
been mostly with trying to mop DECstations and MOP my VAX from a
DECstation.
I can however MOP a DECstation from the VAX IIRC.

> So anyway, back to the point. I thought that I would give one of the more
> recent versions of NetBSD, a go. I've got 2 VS3100's so it seemed like a
> good idea at the time. So I downloaded all of the tar files in the
> /pub/NetBSD/arch/vax/19991115/binary/sets/, no problem. However, there
> doesn't seem to be a corresponding kernel subdirectory. Hence, my
> confusion about which kernel to use. Do I use my 1.4.1 generic kernel?
> I've also found netbsd-1.4L-DMASCSI somewhere - is that the one to use?

	That is odd, I didn't notice that before. You should be fine using
the 1.4.1 Install kernels/netboot kernels. They won't have DMA SCSI in
them,
but as long as you guide the install to the snapshot sets, you'll have
DMA
SCSI on the machine after you install it.

	Chris