Subject: Re: [VAX] Re: Running the 19991115 snapshot
To: CHRISTOPHER J. TRIBO <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Joel Sutton <jsutton@bbcon.com.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/03/2000 21:54:49
Chris,

I guess I must not have made myself clear enough. I shouldn't write emails
at 2am in the morning I suppose. :-) My fault.

First of all, a recap. I've managed to get one of my VaxStations running
1.4.1 without any problems. I've got it netbooting off of my FreeBSD
server using mopd, DHCP and NFS (of course). After spending a few days
mucking about I finally discovered that the mopd version in the FreeBSD
ports collection wasn't patched as specified in the Netboot how-to. I
recompiled with the necessary patches and off we went. I've submitted a PR
& patches to the FreeBSD people so that should fix that problem for other
people.

So anyway, back to the point. I thought that I would give one of the more
recent versions of NetBSD, a go. I've got 2 VS3100's so it seemed like a
good idea at the time. So I downloaded all of the tar files in the
/pub/NetBSD/arch/vax/19991115/binary/sets/, no problem. However, there
doesn't seem to be a corresponding kernel subdirectory. Hence, my
confusion about which kernel to use. Do I use my 1.4.1 generic kernel?
I've also found netbsd-1.4L-DMASCSI somewhere - is that the one to use?

Thanks for you patience

Cheers, Joel...

---
Joel Sutton                       |                Busy Bee Consulting
Phone: 0409 426-563               |               Melbourne, Australia
Email: jsutton@bbcon.com.au       |           http://www.bbcon.com.au/
VicFUG President/Webmaster        |  http://www.vicfug.au.freebsd.org/
FreeBSDzine Editor                |        http://www.freebsdzine.org/

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, CHRISTOPHER J. TRIBO wrote:

> > I'm wanting to netboot my VS3100 with the 19991115 snapshot. So I guess
> > that means I need a recent netboot kernel...???
> >
> > Thanks, Joel...
>
> 	You'll need the MOP load image from the netbsd ftp server as
> well. What you should need is in version/vax/installation/netboot I
> can't give you any help on actually netbooting because the MOP
> implementation on all other platforms except vax refuses to work for
> me, and I don't have another vax to try netbooting it with. I only
> have some MIPS pmax boxes and I have yet to be able to mop boot them
> from each other or mop boot the vax. There was chat about trying to
> fix mop on other platforms with a mop image that would be able to load
> ELF and ECOFF/XCOFF/COFF format, but so far there isn't anything
> available except what people have written hard-coded into their own
> mop images. If this is off of correct I'm sure Brian will correct me.
> It seems to be general concensus that the MOP implementation needs a
> lot of work. You're better off using DD on another machine. Or floppy
> booting if you can get it to work correctly. (I still haven't, but
> Brian sais that he has been able to)
>
> 	Chris

---