Subject: Re: Ethernet transceiver heartbeat (was Re: VAXstation 2000
To: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@igps.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/01/2000 17:50:05
There is a lot of confusion here, let me clear it up.

The qe0: overrun ... resync messages are due, in part to some bogus code in
the qe0 driver. Buck's fix was to comment out the *message* the error still
occurs. In the -current kernel Ragge has re-written most if not all of the
driver and this message no longer appears (although another message
"transmit jam, resetting, sometimes does occur". I don't know if the change
is in 1.4.2 but the driver in current doesn't have this problem.

The -YM version of the DELQA is also known as the DELQA-Turbo. It can
handle back to back ethernet packets and has better on board buffering. It
is also the "best" Q-bus ethernet interface DEC ever made (I don't know if
the DESQA uses the Toshiba part or the Lance part)

DEQNA's are pretty poor performers but are not taxed by most PDP-11's
(except perhaps the 11/8x or 11/9x variants. They are unique in that they
can allegedly change their MAC address by replacing an on board PROM. (Not
that you'd want to, but you can do it.)

--Chuck