Subject: Re: Ethernet transceiver heartbeat (was Re: VAXstation 2000 netboot)
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Smith <eric@brouhaha.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/01/2000 21:23:37
"Aaron J. Grier" <agrier@poofygoof.com> writes:
> Yes.  SQE should only be turned off when a transceiver is hooked to a
> repeater or a multiplexer (like a DELNI).  For hosts it should be left
> _ON_.

I was using a transceiver that had previously been successfully used on
other hosts.  I hadn't changed the configuration.  There is an SQE switch,
but the labelling makes it completely unclear as to which position is _ON_.

So I tried flipping it.  This had no obvious effect on the VAX; NetBSD
continued to work just fine, but it also continued to write those darn
"qe0: ring overrun, resync'd by skipping" messages to the console.

There was a message in the archives a few years ago about this problem,
but no resolution.  Do other people using DELQAs not experience this?

I tried several DELQAs, and got the same behavior with all of them.