Subject: Re: Ethernet transceiver heartbeat (was Re: VAXstation 2000 netboot)
To: Eric Smith <eric@brouhaha.com>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/29/2000 23:15:28
On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 09:14:59PM -0000, Eric Smith wrote:

> Oh!  Should that be turned on when using the Qbus and Unibus ethernet
> cards (DEQNA, DELQA, DEUNA, DELUA)?

Yes.  SQE should only be turned off when a transceiver is hooked to a
repeater or a multiplexer (like a DELNI).  For hosts it should be left
_ON_.

> Is the lack of heartbeat what causes the messages:
>
> Feb 28 17:24:57 vax /netbsd: qe0: ring overrun, resync'd by skipping 6
>
> I thought it was interesting that the skipping number consistently
> cycles from 1 through 14.

I have no idea.  I've never seen this on my uVAX-II...  (but then again,
I have SQE enabled.  ;P )

  "Time Correct function allows automatically correcting slight variation
   of your key touching manner."  --  Roland MSQ-700 manual