Subject: Re: RZ56 - A Resolution!
To: Jon W Grubbs <jgrubbs@megsinet.net>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/26/2000 03:09:08
Any SCSI gurus listening in?

> 2) A small nit, but the MD code for the NCR5380 assumes that the
> controllers are at unit address 7.  At least on my VS3100/M48, they are
> both at unit 6.  The only affect this apparently has is to disallow the
> probing of devices at unit 7 instead of unit 6.
> -	ncr_sc->sc_link.scsipi_scsi.adapter_target = 7;
> +	ncr_sc->sc_link.scsipi_scsi.adapter_target = 6;

I'd like to cast a vote in favor of making it easier to specify host SCSI id's.

For one thing, some workstation firmwares let you set the host SCSI id
to be used when booting. It would be nice if we could respect this somehow.

Every now and then people make noise about supporting SCSI networking,
for systems that have SCSI but no useful ethernet. Easy setting of host
SCSI id's is essential for some applications of this.

There used to be a product for the Apple II (believe it or not) where you
could connect 7 computers up to one SCSI drive. Usually each machine had a
distinct writable partition, and you could set up partitions that were
read-only to all machines. It'd be cool to bring this back on NetBSD.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com