Subject: Re: How many Vaxes?
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/25/2000 00:00:50
NetBSD Mailing list writes:

> Really.  I'm lucky to get much over 300kbs on any kind of network performance
> test at all to my VS3100/30's running VMS or any flavor of Unix.  Is this
> VAXstation you're referring to something other than such a model as was
> inquired about?

Well, with ttcp I can get about 3.3 Mbit/s on my VS3100/M38. (using TCP)
So, I wouldn't expect it to be able to continously "saturate" a 2Mbit/s
circuit, I suppose it should be able to for a short period of time.  I would
think that serving something up out of the buffer cache via web or ftp might
sustain 2Mbit/s during the file transfer.

I would hope you mean '300Kilobytes/second' which would be about 2.4Mbit/s
anyway.  You vax should do better than 300Kbit/s (37Kbyte/s) via ttcp, but
perhaps not if you read data from PIO disks. :=-)

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.