Subject: Re: How many Vaxes?
To: Paul Everett <repton@repton.org>
From: Matthias Buelow <token@mayn.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/24/2000 11:15:53
Paul Everett wrote:

>I've got a VS3100/m30 with 16mb of ram running 1.4.1.
>
>I'm curious though - other than developing stuff for NetBSD/VAX, what does
>everyone use their machines for? I find mine to be a bit on the slow side
>to really do anything useful. Or is my machine just a lot slower then the
>models everyone else has?

I find that a VS3100 (24MB RAM)is an excellent lower-volume webserver,
for example for private use, providing a few user homepages, photos
of meetings, static html documentation etc.  I use mine with thttpd
(a small, very fast web server) and get excellent performance (it can
certainly saturate the 2gbit/s line that connects it to the world).
I'm also having accounts for a few friends on it, running IRC etc. and
we're using it as repository for coordating work on some software
we're writing.
For all this the machine is completely sufficient CPU-wise and
with the DMA-SCSI kernel I get near 1mb/s from my IBM scsi disk
aswell, so I/O is (relatively speaking) quite respectable too.
I can recommend using such a machine as a personal webserver,
it is very stable (both thanks to the solid VAXStation hardware
aswell as NetBSD of course :).  16MB should also be sufficient
for that purpose.

mkb