Subject: Re: weird qe0, and ra0
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/23/2000 09:50:03
>> This is just too weird.
>> ... Now, it all boots fine.  And I can ifconfig qe0 and lo0
>> correctly.  But when I try to ping the server, or mount the diskless
>> area...nothing happens.  tcpdump on the server sees nothing when I
>> ping from the VAX.

> What chassis is it in?

I can never remember the BA-xx nomenclature. It's the narrow chassis, 8
slots wide.  The sticker on the back says the model number is VS21V-P2.
(It had a two-card framebuffer which I've removed.)

> Did you accidently move the DEQNA to one of the C/D slots?

I don't *think* so - I've been working based on the recollection that
this chassis has three C/D slots.  I have CPU in the first slot, memory
in the second, a grant continuity card in the top half of the third,
uda0 in the top half of the fourth, and qe0 in the bottom half of the
fourth.

Besides, I just now tried switching uda0 and qe0, so the qe is in the
A/B side of the fourth slot (with uda0 in the C/D side)...and it made
no difference to the behavior: it still boots, but when I ifconfig qe0
up I still can't ping the server.

Oh, and I don't think I mentioned before...I checked the arp table on
the server, and the MAC address it has for the VAX matches the address
printed during autoconfig for qe0.  Not that this is surprising, since
NFS works well enough to load the kernel.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca