Subject: Re: Status Vax 4000/60, 400/90, 4000/vlc
To: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/22/2000 23:07:12
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Todd Whitesel wrote:
> > > Why is the 4000/vlc not marked as supported ?
> > Dunno
>
>Think, it's because of the missing cache. I tried again some days ago, but i

FWIW: lack of SCSI isn't a problem for me because my NFS server has very good
disks. But the missing cache means that even parsing makefiles is slower on
the VLC than any other machine I have (and the slowest of those is a sun3/60
(20 mhz 68030).

>don't get this cache running. It's different from KA660 cache enabling. But the
>box runs fine, just a bit slow, and SCSI is missing on all 4000s (NCR5394).

When you attempt to enable the cache, does it simply not do anything, or does
it do something bad (like crashing the machine) ?

Is it at all possible for us to boot-trace VMS and figure out what the heck
it does to turn the cache on?

Are there any avenues for real hardware docs that we haven't tried yet?

Argh. There must be something we can do.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com