Subject: Re: How many Vaxes?
To: None <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/22/2000 22:14:41
On 22 Feb, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> 1.  Make the kernel from current:
Before configurating the -current kernel do:
cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config
make install

> 2.  Make/install the libs from current:
cd /usr/src/lib
make install

> 3.  Make the gcc suite from current:
cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/egcs
make install

Possibly:
cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld
or
cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld.new
make install
I can't remember what is needed. There are some problems with the a.out
=> ELF transition...

2. und 3. is not needed every time a new current is build. I found some
problems buildung the early January current on top of the November (?)
snapshot. Steps 2. and 3. solved this.

> 4.  Make the system from current:  (This seems to be in the docs)
>
>     cd /usr/src      (?)
>     make build       (?)
Yes. "make build" takes approx. 49 hours on my VAXstation 3100m76 (7.6
VUPs) (Uhhh, I will do this on a MVII with a 900MB 9" SMD disk in May.
This will be real fun. :-))) )

>     (Are there specific make targets to be aware of other than make build?)
less /usr/src/Makefile
less /usr/share/mk/bsd.README
w3m http://www.netbsd.org/developers/releng/index.html
w3m http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/
Is all I found.

> 5.  Make X if necessary?
If you want. Note: There is currently no X-Server. But a xterm via rsh
is also nice.

> Any other details that are NOT in the docs section that I need to be
> aware of?
500MB of free diskspace without xsrc:
Filesystem             1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd1e                1849381   486934  1269977    27%    /usr/src

BTW:
/dev/sd1e on /usr/src type ffs (NFS exported, local, soft dependencies)

> Any other details from the docs section or from the release builders
> notes of such that I should be aware of for the current -current?
My -current is from early January, I will update to the current
-current tomorow.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen