Subject: Re: HA4000 Transceivers: How do they work?
To: Kent Rankin <krankin@usit.net>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/21/2000 17:59:41
DELNI's are ethernet hubs. They allow several stations to be attached to
the ethernet at one point without having to space them out on the big
yellow cable. In a typical installation there would be DELNI attached to
the yellow cable, and then several workstations attached to the DELNI with
long AUI cables.

These days they aren't that useful (plus they never dealt with back to back
ethernet packets very well anyway) however if you have several machines
with AUI connectors on the back like I do in a single room, you can hook
them up to the DELNI using AUI cables and then hook the DELNI up with a
single AUI to 10BT converter to the rest of your network. This saves on
10baseT transceivers.

If you have a section of yellow ethernet cable (the big thick stuff) and
one of Doug's Vampire taps they could make a pretty interesting museum
display. Especially next to a 10/100 8 port ethernet switch.

--Chuck