Subject: Re: Dying 3100 power supply
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=DE=F3r=F0ur=20=CDvarsson?= <totii@est.is>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/21/2000 22:48:38
Hi there,

As electronic tecnician I would recomend following

disassemble the psu
clean, blow, vacuum all dust,bugs and ... from the unit
examine the solder side of the PCB board, carefully examine all solder
drops to see if there are any cracks, very very fine cracks are trouble
to.
re-solder the cracked solder spots

If there are any signs of heating, dark brown or discolored areas on the
PCB examine and resolder.

Well, at last take very good look at all the capacitors, if capacitor
looks bulgy, cracked at the top or leaky, replace it. Best with low+z,
higer voltage, higher temperature rated (105degc in stead of 85degc)

This is what fixes 99% of broken TV sets, specially PSU problems.

Thordur