Subject: Re: RT-11 filesystem.
To: port-vax@netbsd.org, Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
From: Megan <mbg@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/21/2000 11:51:16
>>>From this can I assume that the RT-11 FS only does one case of letters?
>>If that's true then I wonder if it's better to hard-wire it to lower
>>case.  It would make typing easier...

>Uppercase only, RAD50 encoded in the file name.ext.  All of RT11 as OS
>and utiliities are uppercase so consistance is required.

In earlier versions of RT-11, everything was upper case at the command
prompt and at the CSI prompt.  So case wasn't really a problem.  Later
versions of RT allowed lower case both for commands and at the CSI
prompt, so filenames were case insensitive.  One can specify a mix
of upper/lower case characters for a file name and RT converts it
to upper, then Rad50.

On output, however, all filenames are printed in upper case, since
that is what Rad50 converts to.

					Megan Gentry
					Former RT-11 Developer

| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL   | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group |          (home):  mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation    | addresses need '@' in place of '!'  |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43   | URL:     http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062               | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055                 |  required." - mbg                   |