Subject: Re: RL01 support in NetBSD?
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/19/2000 16:53:08
On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On February 18, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> > Send me specs of the RT-11 filesystem (isn't it called FILES-11?) and I will
> > write support to NetBSD for it.
>
>   It's not FILES-11...that's the filesystem used by RSX, RSTS, and
> VMS.  I don't know what RT's filesystem is called, but it's not
> FILES-11.

RSTS? Are you sure?

>   But anyway...it'd be great if you'd write that!  That would be very,
> very cool.  If it's done in a port-independent way (it'd have to be,
> wouldn't it?) I'd have a few RT11 (or FILES-11, whichever you write)
> filesystems on my SPARCs!! :-)

Well, the RT-11 file system is rock stupid. You don't have to do proper
file system support for it. A simple utility that accesses the raw device
suffices. Not neccesarily portable either, since byter order might be a
problem. But it *could* be done in a portable way.

Anyway. The RT11 file system has the following attributes that I know of:

. All files must be contigous.
. You can only have one file open for writing on the disk at the same
  time.
. The directory is a few blocks at the beginning of the disk.
. The maximum file size is 65535 blocks.

I'm sure someone will correct me on these points when I'm wrong. :-)

(I'm not an RT-11 hacker, but I am an OS/8 hacker, which is very similar.)

	Johnny