Subject: Re: RL01 support in NetBSD?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.dbit.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/18/2000 12:55:03
>From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>

>> Anyone in Europe have one or more RK05s (preferably with Q-bus
>> controller(s)) to spare?  It's right up near the top of my list of
>> things I really really want...
>
>Did such a beast even exist? I have some RK05s, and might even be
>convinced of letting one go, but I only have RK8E controllers myself.
>Also, I only have 16-sector disks, which won't do you any good on a
>pdp-11 or VAX. But I don't remember any Q-bus controller, the Unibus
>controller was the RK11 though.

The Q-bus controller *did* exist (actually I think it was mostly the same
as the Unibus controller but with a different interface card), it was called
the RKV11D.  They're very rare (I sure don't have one), and they're horrible
in that they're actually *Q16* devices, bits 5:4 of the CSR don't really work.
I've heard there was an ECO to fix that and at least bring them up to Q18.

Older versions of the 11/93 (and probably others) boot ROMs had a bootstrap
for the RK05 (which almost no one had on Q-bus, certainly not on an 11/93),
but *not* for the TK50 (which everyone in their right mind has!).  I always
thought that was pretty funny.

John Wilson
D Bit