Subject: Re: RL01 support in NetBSD?
To: Greg Ingram <ingram@symsys.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/18/2000 18:18:36
On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Greg Ingram wrote:

> Okay, I'll spill the rest of the story.  Just don't yell at me.  :)

Why should we? :-)

> I'm trying to resurrect a PDP11.  It's Qbus.  My VAX is Qbus.  I'm lead to
> believe that _some_ boards will work in either system.  My RX02 drives on
> the PDP11 appear to be dead so my only mass storage is an RL01.

Most any board will work in both systems. The RXV11 is probably one of a
few that don't (well, actually it does, as long as you can live with
18-bit address DMA).

> If the VAX could write to the RL01, I think I could build a a workable
> filesystem for the PDP11.
>
> The RL01 looks homebrew.  The interface card is non-DEC; it's from Sigma
> Information Systems. It connects to a XEBEC winchester disk controller
> with a long 50-pin ribbon cable.  The i/f card has a couple of interesting
> large chips from AMD (AM2901APC).  I've got docs for the XEBEC controller
> and the Rodime drive, but, naturally, not for the Sigma controller.
>
> But it _acts_ like an RL01. I can bootstrap it:
>
> 	 28
> 	START? DL0
> 	RT-11FB (S) V05.01
> 	?KMON-U-Overlay read error
>
> 	.
>
> As you can see, though, there's a little problem with the OS.  And I'd
> rather run Unix anyway.

Looks like it's compatible with the DEC controller alright. That makes it
a lot easier. :-)

> ps:  Did I mention that I'd also then like r/w support for the RT-11
> filesystem for NetBSD?  Ouch!  Stop that.

Sigh! Someone should kidnap arff from 4.3BSD. Anyone think we could get
arff released from the encumbered code?

	Johnny