Subject: Re: RL01 support in NetBSD?
To: None <ingram@symsys.com, port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/18/2000 08:52:13
> From port-vax-owner-clowenst=ucsd.edu@netbsd.org Thu Feb 17 12:35 PST 2000
> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:51:49 -0600 (EST)
> From: Greg Ingram <ingram@symsys.com>
> To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
> cc: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>, port-vax@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: RL01 support in NetBSD?
>

> I'm trying to resurrect a PDP11.  It's Qbus.  My VAX is Qbus.  I'm lead to
> believe that _some_ boards will work in either system.  My RX02 drives on
> the PDP11 appear to be dead so my only mass storage is an RL01.
>
> If the VAX could write to the RL01, I think I could build a a workable
> filesystem for the PDP11.
>
> The RL01 looks homebrew.  The interface card is non-DEC; it's from Sigma
> Information Systems. It connects to a XEBEC winchester disk controller
> with a long 50-pin ribbon cable.  The i/f card has a couple of interesting
> large chips from AMD (AM2901APC).  I've got docs for the XEBEC controller
> and the Rodime drive, but, naturally, not for the Sigma controller.

Got a Sigma part number?  There is a very small probability that I have
documentation.  I have had various Sigma Qbus disk controllers in the past.

> - Greg
>
> ps:  Did I mention that I'd also then like r/w support for the RT-11
> filesystem for NetBSD?  Ouch!  Stop that.

Ultrix 4.2 (VAX) had really good support for the RT-11 file system.
The name of the program escapes me at the moment.  It just came back.
"arff".  There was a very limited version of arff on BSD4.x for
maintaining the VAX 780 console floppy.  When last seen by me on
Ultrix, there was support for RL01/02 as well as RK05, RX01/02 and
maybe others.  Initialize, read, write RT file systems as disk images
and probably also as real hardware.

    carl

        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu
                                                  clowenstein@ucsd.edu