Subject: Re: VS 3100/m76 SPX
To: None <ronny@update.uu.se>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/15/2000 10:11:57
On 15 Feb, Ronny Svedman wrote:

> Could one of you please point me at s few How-to-do-this-and-that, for
> instance "how to boot from Tape, how to write bootable tapes (under netbsd
> 1.3.2 on a MVII), hints&tricks, etc.
Get the latest snapshot,
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/vax/snapshot/19991115/binary/sets/
boot the m76 via net. see:
http://world.std.com/~bdc/projects/vaxen/VAX-netboot-HOWTO.html
Or get the bootable CD image,
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/vax/cdboot/cdboot-inst.fs.gz
burn it on a CDR or dd it on to a SCSI Disk with a helper machine. Boot
the m76 from the CDR / disk. (Remember to use a CD drive with 512 bytes
/ block.)
put a disklabel on the disks ("disklabel -i ..."),
do a "disklabel -B ...",
newfs the partitions,
mount them on /mnt, /mnt/usr, /mnt/var, ...
extract the distribution sets ("tar xzpf ..." or "pax -zrpe -f ..."),
do basic system configuration (write a fstab, edit rc.conf, ...),
reboot and be hapy. :-)

> the machine has 32M Ram, is this still an issue (ie 16meg limit?) a Lance
> ethernet chip and the SPX 8plane graphic card running at 66Hz (GPX mode)
From /var/run/dmesg.boot:
VAXstation 3100/m76
cpu: KA43
primary cache status: 21a<DPERR,HIT,REFRESH,ENABLE>
secondary cache status: ffe1<TPE,DPE,MISS,ENABLE>
total memory = 32380 KB
avail memory = 27088 KB
No problems at all with 32MB RAM and ethernet. I used my m76 as NFS
server for a i386.

> Is it still serial console only?
Mono is supported. Work for GPX is in progress, more or less.

> if not - what about X ?
Only clients.

> I think i saw SCSI-DMA was fixed, is this right?
Yes, works well.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen