Subject: KA655 on-board ethernet; was: Re: Bragging Time...
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@KPNQwest.NO>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/14/2000 07:40:06
Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com> writes:

> The CPU btw is a KA655 which is a really nice CPU, [...]

I've got one of these (in a BA215) running Ultrix, but there's a
problem with it: the on-board ethernet is unreliable.  It will
generate single bit errors in data packets that the networking stack
don't notice, thus corrupting NFS, ftp transfers, whatever, without
Ultrix ever realizing that something is wrong.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong?  DMA logic?  A
CMOS static RAM buffer chip used by the ethernet chip and the DMA
circuitry?  Something else?  I'd love to get this thing working...

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"