Subject: Re: KA655 on-board ethernet; was: Re: Bragging Time...
To: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@KPNQwest.NO>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/13/2000 23:21:51
At 07:40 AM 2/14/00 +0100, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:
> > The CPU btw is a KA655 which is a really nice CPU, [...]
>
>I've got one of these (in a BA215) running Ultrix, but there's a
>problem with it: the on-board ethernet is unreliable.  It will
>generate single bit errors in data packets that the networking stack
>don't notice, thus corrupting NFS, ftp transfers, whatever, without
>Ultrix ever realizing that something is wrong.

I don't think it is a KA655 then, there is no on-board ethernet. The KA650
and KA655 neither have onboard eithernet whereas the KA640 and KA670 at
least both do (I don't know about the KA660). I suspect what you have is
the KA640.

Also it is a small point but the BA215 is a horizontally mounted rack mount
enclosure, about 14" high and 26" deep. You may be thinking of the BA213
which came in the stand up pedestal and was sometimes mounted directly into
as rack (usually a H9644) with some RA drives.

The KA655 was the last upgrade for the BA123 Microvaxen according to my DEC
options catalog before they chucked out that chassis and started supporting
only the BA2xx series. Since these machines had either a DEQNA or DELQA in
them there was no need for on board peripherals.

The KA640 and 670 also both have on board DSSI (640 has one, the 670 has two)

--Chuck